Thursday, August 12, 2010

Getting settled in Mayberry...I mean....Decorah


Well, we have lived in our new hometown for a little over two weeks now!  It has been a full time of unpacking boxes, arranging furniture, re-arranging furniture, hanging pictures, decorating each room, etc. etc. etc.  Its been great fun making this old house our own.  I know many people have been asking about pictures, so I will include a few in the posting.  Watch my facebook page for a complete album of photos in the next couple of days.

Before I post pictures, I just want to take a little bit of time and describe the town that we now call home.  Allen and I have commented many times that Decorah feels like Mayberry.  It is such a charming town.  Just about every shop on Water street (that is the main street of town) has its own quaint feeling.  In some ways, I feel like I have been thrown back to 1950, but in other ways, Decorah is definitely 21st century.  For an example of throwback, I give you the grocery store known as Fareway.  From the moment I walked into this market, I felt like I was in a different era.  All of the employees are dressed in nicely pressed white shirts and black pants.  Every person greets you with a smile and offers 100% customer service.  To get your meat at Fareway, you don't pick up pre-packaged ground beef or chicken.  Instead, there are about 10 employees behind the counter and they hand wrap everything for you in that nice old meat market paper.  It made me think of what my grandpa's meat market in Midland must have been like in the 60s and 70s.  They take the chicken right off of the rotisserie and serve you with a smile!  When you are ready to check out, the cashier empties your cart for you and another employee stands ready to bag your groceries.  They don't even ask you if you want your groceries taken to the car--it is company policy to take your basket AND load your car.  The customer service at Fareway is unlike any I've ever experienced in a grocery store.  I love it!

Another thing that I just love is how close everything is to our house.  We live in the historic district of town and our street, Broadway, is full of Victorian homes and old churches.  If you walk about 3 minutes one way, you end up on Water street and all that downtown has to offer is right at your finger tips.  If you walk 4 minutes uphill, you come to one of the most beautiful parks I've ever seen.  Caroline and Julianne love playing at this park, and Allen and I have enjoyed many wonderful evening walks there with breathtaking views of the Iowa river and valley below.  We also walked to a nearby waterfall!  Decorah actually has two of them!  Each night as we have walked, the fireflies flicker across our path and the sound of crickets fills the air.  It is so peaceful here.  I am really looking forward to many quiet moments with God.

But, the place, other than our house and Luther, that we have frequented more than any other is none other than the Wippy Dip.  Yes, the Wippy Dip is THE place to go for ice cream, sundaes, shakes, tornadoes (that's the WD's version of the Blizzard), and of course, the dipped cone.  Let me confess that we have gone there WAAY too many times during the last two weeks.  But, heck, its summer and its yummy!

Okay, now to our house.  As I said before, we live in the historic district of town.  When we closed on our house, we saw the abstract and it dated back to 1850!  There was another home on our property at that time, and around 1890, this home was constructed.  It is Victorian in architecture and has tons of character both inside and out.  Here are a few pictures of the outside:


We live right beside the major landmark of the town--First Lutheran Church.  In fact, you can see First Lutheran from almost anywhere in town!  We also have sidewalks very close to our home, so we see many people walking or biking by.  We have a lovely porch and a small garden just off of our back patio.  Today alone I harvested 15 cucumbers!  Yikes, that is a lot of pickles!  We are also growing jalapeno peppers, green beans, onions, and carrots.  I am really loving the idea of gardening.  I have never done it before and am determined to make it work!  It has been so awesome to pick fresh cucumber and make a salad with them, or  pick some green beans and serve them up with some bacon and brown sugar!  :)  Fresh produce is constantly at our fingertips.  We can get fresh sweet corn (my new addiction!), tomatoes, herbs, peppers, potatoes...the list goes on an on!  Fresh is amazing!


Ah...but I digress.  Back to the house.  Here are a few pictures taken at various times of day.  


 Well, there you have it:  a smattering of pics from our new abode!


Another way that Decorah has felt like Mayberry is that everyone has been so welcoming.  People have come to our door with wonderful Norwegian desserts, flowers, food, and more food.  We are really feeling right at home.
I could go on...but I'll save it for another blog!

So, friends and family, thanks for your prayers.  We are settling in nicely.  Please continue to pray that we find a church home.  I will write about our church experiences in a few days.   Also pray that we fervently seek God and abide in Christ as we begin this new chapter of our lives.

  We think of all of you often and miss you! We have to admit that weather-wise, the last few days have reminded us of Texas! ;)

Love,

Kristin



3 comments:

  1. WOWOWOWOWOW! You just moved into my dream house. No Joke! Miss you guys. And, super sad I couldn't say goodbye. But, I'm so excited to see the wonderful things God will do through each of you!
    Love!!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely home!! Do you want to come decorate mine??? Haha...miss you guys!! :)

    ReplyDelete